Untill now I am still doubting to label King of Dangdut on Indonesian musician Rhoma Irama. Why? If we are aggree that dangdut music rooted from Melayu and India music, so Rhoma Irama music is closed to Melayu-Arabian music. We can check this from his history, or his discography.
Look at this album by Orkes Purnama, the group before Oma Irama found Soneta group. In this album, Oma Irama interpretated five songs, and only one song composed by Oma Irama. Most of Oma songs in this album are closed to Melayu music, or Melayu-Arabian music. To be noted, that Oma Irama in Purnama group was only a singer among other singers, and the leader was Awab/Abdullah. So who is King of Dangdut? *
Album : Aku Saudaramu
Band : Orkes Purnama
Singers: Oma Irama, Titing Yenny, Nayi,, Maimunah, Anna, A Harris.
Publisher: J&B record, no date releasing.
1. Aku Saudaramu (Bahfen) — Oma Irama
2. Sedjarah Lama (Bahfen) — Titing
3. Kisah Lalu (Abdullah) — Nayo
4. Fajar (A. Harris) — A. Harris
5. Ke Taman Bunga (Abdullah) — Oma
6. Membisu (Abdullah) — Oma Irama
1. Mari Beriman (Abdullah) — Titing, Yenny, bersama
2. Djamilah (Bahfen) — Oma, Titing
3. Dajuhkanlah (Hasan Lebra) — Nayo
4. Kembali (Bahfen) — Anna
5. Ulang Tahun Sila (Bahfen) — Anna
6. Kunanti (Oma Irama) — Oma Irama.